Duration: 6 days
Route: Tashkent – Samrkand – Shakhrisabz – Bukhara - Tashkent
Uzbekistan is truly a country of great people! Here many great military leaders, scientists, governors and writers known all over the world were born and lived. Let’ think about any field: if it is literature, it is immediately associated with Alisher Navoi, if it is science – we think about well-known astronomer Ulugbek or a great doctor and mathematician Abu Ali Ibn Sino. The list is endless.
Every day you will be acquainted with one of the great people of Central Asia, you will learn their biography, activities and certainly the contributed to the humanity history.
Is it interesting? You do not know how it is interesting to see it with your own eyes and hear the stories, parables from the best guides of the Republic.
Who have never been in Uzbekistan,
Who have never tried the pilaf,
Who have never heard a song of quail at dawn,
Who have never seen aryks with purling cool water –
That one is not blessed by the God, say the truth...
Who have never coasted in our mountains in winter,
Who have never swum in our lakes in summer,
Who have never sniffed the scent of flat bread parched in tandoor -
That one is not blessed by the God twice ...
Who have never eaten unwashed bunch of grapes,
Who have never listened songs of Tamara Khanim for thousand times,
Who have never eaten melons to become full
That one is not blessed by the God three times in this case.
08:00 - arrival in hospital Tashkent city. Khush Kelibsiz!
10:00 - transfer from the airport to the hotel.
10:30 - check-in at the hotel. The rest in comfortable rooms.
12:00-13:00 - Welcome to the lunch in «Bahor» restaurant. Here you will be serviced as eastern hospitality traditions demand.
13:00 - The excursion to ancient monuments of Uzbekistan (Tashkent) starts:
· Hazrat Imam complex (Telyashayakh Mosque, Kaffol Shoshiy Gravestone, Islamic Institute, Khazarti Imam Mosque, Mui-Muboral Madrasah). This complex was built on the grave of one of the first imams of Tashkent city, who was a famous scientist, Koran and Hadiths (in Islam, a narrative record of the sayings or customs of Muhammad and his companions) expert, poet and craftsman – Hazrety Imam. The only world-known original version of Khalif Osman’s Koran is kept in this complex - Mui-Muboral Madrasah (translated as “a golden hair of Mohammed”).
· Then we’ll visit the Kukeldash Mosque. Many tragic, amazing and funny legends and stories are associated with the ancient Kukeldash. For example there is a story about the fact that the adulterous women were executed there: they were put into the bag, the bag was lifted to the top of the madrasah and dropped down to Shaykhantaur street running next to this madrasah. There is one more story about unusual pistachio tree, which was growing over three hundred years at the top of one madrasah dome. It was deemed as holly, many legends and songs were created about it.
· you will visit «Chorsu» hospitable Uzbek bazaar. There you may buy flavourful flatbread (national cakes in Uzbek cuisine), melons, watermelons, the tastiest fruits. Our national skilled craftsmen will offer you their artworks representing Uzbekistan.
· At the end of the excursion you will visit «Shokhidlar» Square («Khotira»). The complex consists of consists of scenic park, the museum itself and rotunda with symbolic nephritis gravestone. On the gravestone one can read a carved inscription in three languages (Arabic, English and Uzbek) that says “The memory of those, who sacrificed themselves for the freedom of their nation will live forever”. Opposite to this building you will see Tashkent TV Tower (345m) – one of the highest towers in the Middle Asia;
19:00-21:00 - Dinner & folklore show
TASHKENT – SAMARKAND
This day will be dedicated to Amir Temur, the great military leader (1336 - 1405)
Amir Temur was a difficult and multi-faceted person. He created his own destiny and became a prominent historical figure. It was near Samarkand, in Kesh city - after Shakhrisabz, or "green city", where in 1336 a son of the chief of a small tribe was born. Amir Temur (Tamerlane) was a conqueror, commander, soldier. He wrote two books: Malfuzat or Memoirs and Tuzukat or Institutions, and founded his empire in Bukhara and Samarkand, which he always thought to be his home.
06:00 – 07:00 - Early breakfast at the hotel
07:30 - Departure to Samarkand by comfortable bus (4,5-5 hours).
By the way to Samarkand you will see large cotton and melon fields. You will see a small part of Uzbek people everyday life. Coming near to Jizzak, you will see the unique landscape of Zaamin Mountains. Red juicy Bakhmal apples are the zest of this region.
12:30 - Arrival in Samarkand. Check-in & half-hourly rest at the hotel.
13:00 – 14:00 - Lunch at national restaurant.
14:00 - Excursion in Samarkand - «the pearl of the East» starts. The most ancient and beautiful monuments have been built here in the honor of the dearest people of the great governor Amir Temur:
· Gur-Emir Mausoleum (14 century) - The great conqueror Amir Temur, the governor of Ma Wara'un-Nahr (Transoxiana) known over the world lies in his capital - Samarkand - in a luxurious Temurids’ tomb named "Gur-Emir" (translated as “the tomb of the king”). Amir Temur and his sons are buried here. The aura of this mausoleum is magical. When you enter this building, you will fell this atmosphere immediately.
· Memorial complex of Imam Al’-Bukhari is located Khortang village, in 12km far from Samarkand. It is one of the most important worship places of Muslim world. Prominent Sunni theologian Imam Mukhammad Ibn Ismoil Abu Abdallah Al’-Bukhari became famous in the history as the author of the second most important Islamic book after Koran - the most reliable collection of hadiths (Al’-Jomi as Sakhih). The burial place of Imam Al’-Bukhari was considered as sacred place. Next to mikhrab niche there is the Muslim shrine Kisva-Materia Kaaba gifted by the King of Saudi Arabia to Uzbekistan. Muslims say that the visit of the tomb of Al’-Bukhari is equivalent to a small hajj.
· Shahi-Zinda necropolis (14 - 15 centuries) is the burial place of royal and noble persons. The unique ancient complex of tombs (1370-1449) is located near the Afrasiab settlement. It is also called as Cemetery Street. There are decrepit buildings of mosques and mausoleums XI-XV centuries located so fancifully with blue dome running far away as a string looks like as an elegant necklace from the top view.
· Bibi-Khanym Mosque (14 century). Bibi-Khanym Mosque as all the monuments in Samarkand has beautiful legend as well. According to this legend Temur built a mosque in honor of Bibi-Khanym - his beloved wife. After a successful campaign against Temur decided to build the largest building in the East, mosque, which will be the largest one among all mosques over the world. Sparkling walls, high minarets, a wide white marble entrance of the mosque were to praise the name of Amir Temur and his beloved wife for many centuries.
18:00-19:00 - Dinner at national restaurant.
19:00 - Evening walk at «Night Registan». Here you will see the «other Registan» with bright lights under a moonlight. There are three buildings here, which are located in harmony with each other: Ulugbek’s Madras (1417-1420), Sher Dor Madras (1619- 1636) and Tillya Kari (1647-1660). In 1417 year Ulugbek, the lovely grandson of Amir Temur, started the construction of the madrasah named in his honor.
Overnight at the hotel.
SAMARKAND – SHAKHRISABZ – BUKHARA
Today we will continue to learn about Amir Temur, because one day to get acquainted with this person is not enough. We will also get acquainted with his grandson - Ulugbek (1394-1449).
After the Tamerlane's death there were civil wars and feudal disorders resulting with a victory of Shahrukh - Tamerlane's son. He gave Maverounahr as the possession of to his eldest son Ulugbek. During his governing Samarkand became one of the world science centers in the Middle Ages. In Samarkand, in the first half of the 15th century Ulugbek organized a scientific school uniting many outstanding astronomers and mathematicians, such as Giyaz-ad-Din, Jemshid Kashi, Kazi-zade Rumi, Ali Kushchi and others.
08:00 – 09:00 - Breakfast at the hotel.
09:15 - Departure to Shakhrisabz (90 km, 1.5 hours) – «Green City», the mother land of Amir Temur. During his life Amit Temur always said that he was born in this city and wants to be buried here. There is Amir Temur Mausoleum in Shakhrisabz, but unfortunately he was buried in another place by some quirk of fate.
11:00 - Arrival in Shakhrisabz.
The first sights you will see here will include:
· Ak Saray Palace («White Palace») — grandiose almost "collapsed" residence of Temur in his hometown Shakhrisabz. One of the palace wonders was the constructed on the roof swimming pool with flowing down stream cascade.
· Dorus Saodat Complex ("repository of power") - Temur gave order to build these buildings to repose his son Jakhongir. Later another Temur’s son - Shaykh Omar was buried here as well. A dark and suffocating atmosphere in the crypt makes visitors to tremble, but still here you will feel a peace of mind and a lot of impressions.
· Jakhongir Mausoleum - it was built for Temur’s eldest beloved son Jakhangir, who suddenly died at the age of 20 years old in Samarkand. Temur fell into grief so that "his heart was closed for mercy within 30 years".
13:00 – 14:00 - Lunch at national restaurant.
14:00 - Departure to Bukhara (180 km, 2 - 2,5 hours).
16:30 - Arrival in Bukhara. Check-in. Rest.
18:00 - Dinner at «Nodir Diban-Begi» - the most famous square of old Bukhara – Lyabi-Hauz ("Lyabi" means "beach", "hauz" - "pool"). Lyabi-Hauz is the most beautiful and popular place in the city. There are a lot of chaykhanas (tea-houses). Cultural events are held on holidays here, artists, craftsmen and musicians are sitting here. Evening folk concert will start during our banquet. Quiet folk music will play under the sun. Ensemble solo performers will play their "stories" on national instruments: doira, gidzhak, soz, chang, nay and others. "Bukhorcha" dance ensemble will present you a magnificent performance of various national dances.
Leisure time spending.
This day will be devoted to the great scientist Abu Ali Ibn Sino and the whole era of his time (Samanids, Karakhanids and Khorezmshakh epochs)
Abu Ali Ibn Sino (Avicenna) was outstanding physician, astronomer, philosopher, and poet. Abu Ali Ibn Sino (known as Avicenna) was born in 980 in Afshona village near Bukhara. Many scientific works of the great Avicenna are a rich heritage to many scientists in Europe and Asia. He wrote books in the field of medicine, astronomy, mathematics, music theory, linguistics, philosophy, art stories.
There are many legends on the medical practice of Ibn Sino. One of them says that after his death, he left to his student forty vials and ordered to pour him into his mouth the mixture of one vial daily for forty days. When a student gave him the 39th vial, he saw that cheeks of his teacher blushed red, his lips became dark red, hairs and mustache became black, and it looked like he was about to open his eyes. The student was so excited to see the resurrection and rushed to the last fortieth vial and it broke it.
08:00- 09:00 - Breakfast at the hotel
09:30 - Professional guides will start the excursion and show you the most ancient sights in Bukhara:
• Abu Ali Ibn Sino Museum in Afshona: the professional guide will tell you about scientist’s life and work and his era. You will see a collection of archaeological objects of X-XI centuries, utensils, medical appliances and etc. in the museum. In one of the rooms there are life-size figures representing the healing of Vizier Ibn Mansur by Avicenna.
• A short walk across the outskirts of Afshona village. You can walk there along narrow streets of the village, where Avicenna walked once. Local people will tell you a lot of clergies of a parish and legends.
• Samanids Mausoleum of IX century (between 892 and 943 yrs.) - Here is the tomb of Ismail Samani - the founder of the Samanid dynasty, the Persian dynasty, who governed in Central Asia in the IX-X centuries AD.
By the way we can visit:
· Ark Citadel (IV century B.C.) – Bukhara statehood center.
· Poi Kalyan Complex consists of three buildings constructed in XII — XVI centuries: Kalyan Minaret, Kalyan Mosque and Miri Arab Madrasah. Poi Kalyan is located at the front square and is the central architectural complex in Bukhara.
· Choshma Ayub Mausoleum;
· Ulugbek Madrasah;
· Lyabi Hauz Complex (XVI — XVII centuries) – Lyabi-hauz is formed with three large monumental buildings: Kukeldash Madrassah in the north, khanaka and Nodir Divan-begi in the west and in the east. From the south the square was closed with Trade Street. The center of old Bukhara large ensemble became a reservoir. The size of the complex reaches approximately 150 x 200 meters.
13:00-14:00 - Lunch at national chaykhona (tea-house) in tea-house near «Hauz Nadirbegi» lake, where you will taste the most delicate dishes of Uzbek cuisine: pilaf, samosa, manty ( oriental dumplings), lagman, shashliks, kazan-kabob and etc. according to your wish.
14:00 - After visiting some sights of Bukhara, we will offer you the most interesting sights for the «dessert»:
· Magoki Attor Mosque
· Ensemble of Khoja-Gaukushon - is one of the largest ensembles in the city center. There are a mosque, a minaret and a madrasah. Gaukushon means "killing the bull". It was a large trade area of Bukhara, where there was a massacre before.
· Chor-Bakr Necropolis is a huge square fenced with high walls. There is an ancestral burial vault of Juibar sheikhs of Sufi order "Naqshbandiya". The main grave is the grave of Khoja Abu Bakr Sad, who had been the teacher of the ruler of Bukhara Abdullakhan II for 20 years. After his death, Abdullakhan II immortalized the name of his teacher by erecting around his grave a complex, which included a mosque, khanaka, madrasah, necropolis and a big garden. Necropolis became the place of muslim's pilgrimage.
The next stage of our journey, the most interesting – we will go to guests in the national house. A long time ago people in the Central Asia started to dispute: "Whose pilaf is better?" Tashkent pilaf? Samarkand pilaf? Bukhara pilaf? Maybe you will cook the best pilaf? You will never forget the taste of real Uzbek pilaf cooked by your own hands in the house of local people.
18:00 – 20:00 - Dinner at national restaurant. Rest at the hotel.
BUKHARA - TASHKENT
BAKHOUTDIN NAKSHBANDI (1318 - 1389).
Bakhoutdin Naqshbandi was known as the representative of the Central Asian Sufism. Sufis devote their life to serving Allah. Bakhovutdin Naqshbandi’s served Allah all his life. Many miracles and legends are associated with his name. There is much information about him in the book "Tarikh-i-Bahovutdin" and in any other works. He lived his entire life in Bukhara and its surroundings. He made the hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca) twice. He earned for his daily bread by his own labor. He has never had servants.
08:00- 09:00 - Breakfast at the hotel
09:00 - Trip to Bukhara countryside to visit Bakhauddin Naqshbandi complex, which is the most important Muslim’s shrine. Every self-respecting Muslim knows and respects this person. It is known that the Naqshbandi was Temur’s spiritual mentor and made hajj to Mecca 32 times. Mausoleum of the Saint Bakhauddin Naqshbandi is the Central Asian Mecca. The religious come from different Muslim’s countries to ask for accomplishment of desires and pray for forgiveness of sins.
11:00-12:00 - Dinner at national restaurant.
12:00 - Departure to Tashkent (616 km., 8-10 hours)
21:00 - Arrival in Tashkent. Check-in. Rest.
Let’s devote this day yourself. We visited the most famous places in Central Asia, came close to its history, visited places, where great people once lived. Even if we do not make the history, we could see it with our own eyes.
07:00 – 08:00
Breakfast at the hotel.
08:00 - Departure by comfortable bus to Andijan region to the crossing point of “Dustlik - Avtodorojniy” border (447 km, 5-7 hours). Passing over Uzbek - Kirgiz border.
See you soon! We are sure that it will be the best travel in your life.
Number of people in a group
Price per one person (USD)
Price per group
* Our Company presents you with fascinating folklore show in “Bahor” restaurant!
The price includes
The price doesn’t include
Accommodation at the hotels 3-4* (5 nights)
International air tickets
Permits to visit monuments
Transfer all over the route
Entertainments according to your own wish
Breakfasts at the hotel
FB Meal (5 lunches; 5 dinners)
English speaking guide in Tashkent and Samarkand
* the program may be changed depending on the country you come from;572$ Order