Ulugbek Madrasah was built in 1417-1420. In the fifteenth century at the time of great scholar Ulugbek, madrasah was one of the largest scientific – educational institutions of the Central Asia. Besides lessons of divinity in this institution there were taught philosophy, mathematics and astronomy. The best scholars of that time read lectures in here. In the history there is data about that even Mirzo Ulugbek himself taught here, and for several times carried out disputes with scholars and students. Great persons such as Abdurakhman Djami and Alisher Navoi have studied in the madrasah.
Author of this building is Kavamaddin Sherozi – court architect of Shakhrush – father of Mirzo Ulugbek.
With its majestic portal Ulugbek madrasah is turned to Registan square of Samarkand city. Entrance arch of the building is decorated with mosaic panel, where geometric ornament is described. On corners of settlement there are high minarets. Yard of madrasah is square form, it consists of mosque, room for conducting lectures, as well as premises where students lived.
Architectural finishing of the madrasah is very obvious and rich. Monotone yellowish glassy of building walls is decorated with beautiful geometric patterns, which are made out of glazed bricks. Arch of portal is framed with strip from majolica, and portal tympanum ornament describes starry sky in the shape of ornament from decagonal stars.
In architectural look Ulugbek madrasah has embodied courage and technical simplicity of that time – excellent work of ancient masters.
In the result of restoration there was repeatedly laid portal tympanum, ornament was restored, walls bases were faced with marble. In 1965 there was approved project of an engineer E.M.Gendel. On this project there was carried out rectification of southern and eastern minaret.