Palace Tash-hauli in translation means «A stone yard». This building is situated near to Palvan-Darvaza gate in east part of Ichan - Kala – city fortresses of Khiva. The palace was constructed in the nineteenth century by order of Allakulikhan. Construction was conducted about eight years, and was ended in 1838. Before everything was finished harem. then hall of court and guests room–room for carrying out formal receptions.
External wall of palace is decorated with dentil and small half turrets with small lamps.
Harem consists of one big room for khan and small rooms for his four wives. All rooms are isolated from each other and have separate entrance. Arzkhona –hall of court is located in a southwest part of building. Mekhmonkhona (guests room) looks like a square yard. In its center there is located eminence of a round form. This place is intended for a yurta of nomads – guests. On other area of palace there are rooms and ayvans– terraces which are decorated with majolica.
In shape of Tash-hauli there concentrated lines of traditional architecture of Khiva. The palace yard by tradition is shared into three parts. In each of separate parts there are two-storeyed ayvans with column in the center. Walls of ayvans are decorated with inscription besides majolica, from both sides they have decorative towers. During ancient times owner of a palace would sat in those ayvans, here he discussed important issues and even managed the court. Majolica panel – decorations of ayvans are executed in traditional scale of white and dark blue flowers. On windows there are openwork lattices with refined and beautiful patterns.
Times of board of Allakulikhan were marked by considerable strengthening of centralized power. Successful trade with neighbors was conducted. The khan had enough means for which he didn't greed on rich ornament of palace. During the conflicts and wars Tash-hauli palace practically didn't suffer. It was exposed to only small restoration.
Other sights in Khiva: